ARTIST’S AIR quietly removes impurities from between you and your artwork, where harmful substances would otherwise collect and be inhaled. Clean air naturally replaces it, leaving you with healthier air to breathe. Most impurities created by artists are heavier than air and tend to drift downward or with air currents.
THE COLLECTION UNIT
ARTIST’S AIR is portable and can be quickly set up
with the filter unit to either side of your workspace. This system filters your
studio air, rather than venting it
outside. That saves you heating and cooling expenses and conserves energy
ARTIST’S AIR collection unit fits most studio easels. However, the collection unit can be used on a table, horizontally or vertically, for artists working in other media.
The "collection unit" consists of the box, screen, strapping, utility tray, and pre-filter. The box will sit on the ledge where you normally place your painting on the easel. It will overhang the ledge by about 1.5 or 2 inches, but is securely held in place on the easel by a velcro strap which is wrapped around the supports of the easel. Your painting, or painting surface will sit on a 1/4" mesh steel screen, which allows air flow to pass through. It also easily allows heavier pastel dust to drop through into the collection unit and onto the first pre-filter, thus making possible the retrieval of any small pastel pieces that may have dropped through this mesh screen.
Velcro strap, wrapped around the masts of the easel. Note where the box sits on the painting ledge.
Mesh screen on top of collection unit. Here, the photo shows the "lift bar" which we no longer produce. Feedback offere to us, along with our own experience, indicated it didn't lift up a canvas high enough to make a difference in accessing the bottom.
ARTIST’S AIR filter units are constructed of durable steel with a flat black powder-coat finish.The Collection Box is made for us exclusively in Bangor, Maine. Our filter units are also designed and built exclusively for us by Airpura, in Canada. (http://www.airpura.com/)
INSIDE THE CANNISTERS:
(A pre-filter in the easel collection box stops the largest particles such as dust (including pastel dust) and lint from clogging the other filters.)
• In both the 60-D and 60-V models, a second prefilter in the filter canister stops more particles to protect the VOC and HEPA filters.
• The special Vocarb Carbon filter (VOC) eliminates solvent vapors, gases, and odors. This filter is only in the 60-V model. It has 18 lbs.of Vocarb activated carbon that traps gases and odors that pass through the filter. The filters trap 60% of its own weight in airborne chemicals, gases and odors. They will keep on adsorbing harmful chemicals for 24 months in typical use.
• The true HEPA filter traps airborne particles. These filters can capture 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns, including some bacteria and viruses. The 60-D is designed to fight particle allergens and relieve your allergy and asthma symptoms. With 40 square feet of HEPA filter material and carbon weave filtration,the 60-D removes common allergens including pollen, mold, dust, and pet dander and fights light to moderate odors. A great solution for artists working with pastel dust and in general allergy-sufferers who need relief. The true HEPA filter is warm rolled to prevent cracking, 10 pleats per sq inch, maximizes filtration (other systems only use 6-8 folds), and spacers to make sure every fold filters.
WHAT IS VOC CARBON?
Activated carbon has been treated with oxygen to open up millions of tiny pores between the carbon atoms. There are so many of these that one pound of activated carbon has a working surface area of 60 to 150 acres.
Certain chemicals are attracted to activated carbon and bond to it. The millions of pores in the activated carbon provide an enormous surface area to trap these chemicals. In addition, our VOC activated carbon is specially treated to quickly trap volatile organic compounds, such as those released in artists' studios. VOC carbon is much more efficient, and traps those harmful compounds much quicker than regular activated carbon.
FILTER UNIT SPECS FROM AIRPURA
• Air Flow 560 CFM (More cfm than any other portable unit available)
• Watts: 120 on high 40 on low; Voltage Options: 115 volts or 220 volts
• Sound Level: 28.1db on low (at 6 feet); 62.3db on high (560cfm) (Room level 25.1db)
• Effective in spaces up to 2000 sq. ft.
SMALL PRINT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
• ARTIST’S AIR will collect and filter out most impurities as they are released from an average or small-sized painting. However, even under ideal conditions nothing collects and filters 100 percent of the impurities as they are created. The system will continue to collect and filter any vapors and dust that escape into the studio. We recommend that artists leave the fan on low when not working to continually clean their studio air.
• If more than one person is painting
in a studio, each painter should have an
ARTIST’S AIR at their easel. The system is not designed to handle the impurities produced by more than one artist at a time.
• How much noise does ARTIST’S AIR make? It has a variable switch (like a dimmer switch). In lay terms, the highest level produces about as much sound as a modern window fan, but without any high-pitch sound. Technically, the volume ranges from 28 to 62 decibels. For comparison, 30 decibels is the "equivalent of a whisper-quiet library," while a normal conversation is 60-70 decibels. Please visit http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/education/decibel/decibel.asp.